What is inflammation?
Inflammation is our body's in-built and natural way to fight and remove harmful foreign substances from our body with the help of immune cells.
Then why is it considered harmful?
While inflammation is necessary to clear pathogens and repair injuries, it should only be short-lived. When it persists for a long time, without any apparent reason, then it starts creating problems.
Types of inflammation?
- Acute inflammation: The response to infections and sudden body injury such as cutting your finger. To heal the cut, your body sends inflammatory cells to the damage.
- Chronic inflammation: Your body continues sending inflammatory cells even when there is no outside danger.
Worldwide, 3 of 5 people die due to ailments caused by chronic inflammation.
More than 50% of all deaths attributes to inflammation-related diseases.
Inflammation paves the way for:
- Heart disease
- Fatty liver disease
- Diabetes mellitus
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)
- Crohn’s disease
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Parkinson’s disease
Common causes of inflammation
- Sensitivity: The body can be sensitive to external factors like chemicals, climate, drugs, food, etc., which can trigger an allergic reaction and subsequent inflammation.
- Exposure: Chronic inflammation can occasionally be by prolonged, low-level exposure to an irritant and toxic chemicals.
- Autoimmune disorders:Conditions where the immune system unintentionally targets normal, healthy tissue. Eg: Lupus and psoriasis
- Genetics and auto-inflammatory disorders
- Persistent acute inflammation: In some circumstances, an individual may not fully heal from acute inflammation. This can occasionally cause chronic inflammation.
Risk factors of chronic inflammation
- Older age
- Unhealthy diet
- Low sex hormones
- Sleep issues
How to tame inflammation?
- Munch on anti-inflammatory foods
- Cut off inflammation causing foods
- Proper weight management
- Control your blood glucose levels
- Be active
- Don’t stress too much
- Treat your underlying health conditions
10 best Anti-inflammatory foods
- Green leafy vegetables
- Citrus fruits
- Olive oil
- Manuka honey
5 Powerful anti-inflammatory supplements
- Green-lipped mussel oil
- Astaxanthin supplements
- Omega 3 supplement
- Super Greens
- Super Red
5 must avoid foods to prevent inflammation
- High sugar foods
- Refined carbohydrates
- Artificial trans fat
- Refined carbohydrates
- Processed meats